OUCC has carried out manufacturing process hazard and operability (HazOp) analysis on hazardous processes associated with higher risk. A hazard prevention model and the risk management process have been constructed to reduce the probability of industrial accidents.
The HazOp method is used to evaluate the process safety, and the five different indicators in the risk matrix ❶ significant, ❷ high, ❸ moderate, ❹ low, and ❺ insignificant, are used as priorities for improvement, and the countermeasures are as follows:❶ Major risk : items of highest improvement priority, with engineering improvements as the main focus.
❷ High risk : items of second highest improvement priority, with engineering improvements as the main focus and administrative management as assistance.
❸ Medium risk : items of third improvement priority, with administrative management as the main focus.
❹ Low risk : items of fourth improvement priority, with administrative management as the main focus.
❺ Negligible risk : items of fifth improvement priority, with administrative management as the main focus.
The OUCC has also introduced Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) technique in the newly established EOD plant in 2010. High-impact events from the HazOp analysis of the EOD plant were selected for LOPA analysis. The security protection layer was strengthened to achieve the expected effect of risk management. LOPA analysis of the existing processes were all completed.
Each unit carried out general hazard identification using the risk ratings chart; a total of 20 improvement cases were tracked in 2020.
Risk Hazard Analysis
The process risk is a key issue to the safe environment. Thus, we conduct preliminary hazard analysis on the process change of the output pump model, capacity, and pipelines of the new propylene oxide storage zone to identify the safety risks of the work zone, provide process safety assessment for high risk equipment, and request for improvement within a specific period of time.
Production Process Disaster Prevention Measures
Safety Prevention Mechanism
Occupational Safety and Health Management Standard Operation Procedures (SOP)
- The environmental health and safety policy as set down in the “Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Management Handbook” has been revised as a response to the resolve of top management, request of the Far Eastern Group, and the expectation of stakeholders on the environmental safety and health.
- “Occupational Health and Safety Risks and Opportunities Management Guidelines” effectively identify the risks and opportunities of the occupational health and safety management system. We continue to make improvements to the occupational safety and health management system to enhance performance.
- The “Safety Manual for Work in Confined Spaces” lists safety management for all work operations in confined spaces to ensure personnel safety.
- “Environmental Safety Certification Requirements for All Levels” have to be followed by the supervisors of all units and apply to all levels of staff that need certification.
- “Safety Management of High-pressure Water Column (water blade) Operations” requires that all the necessary tasks be taken in strict compliance with regulations to ensure and maintain the safety of personnel at all times.
Safety Data Sheet and Hazard Labeling of Chemical Substances
- All raw materials and products used in the plant have associated material Safety Data Sheets (SDS) which are kept onsite and in the offices of each unit. They are also accessible on the Internet platform for employees’ checking at all time. This ensures that all the proper actions to be adopted to secure the safe handling of the material and the safety of personnel and the plant.
Sobriety Testing Before Entry
Article 20 of the “Work Rules” was amended to stipulate a sobriety test for employees entering the plant: For employees and contractors, alcohol testing is conducted at the factory as appropriate to deter and ensure the effect of alcohol-free entry into the factory. Employees or contractors who fail the sobriety test are denied entry. An employee who violates the rules will be dealt with according to the Work Rules. Contractors in violation will be penalized under the Contractor Operation Safety Commitment.
- A measured alcohol level of 0.01 to 0.14 mg will result in entry refusal. A verbal warning will be given to first-time offenders. The offender must provide a declaration stating specific improvement and be targeted as a follow-up. The day’s absence will be treated as an off day. A second offence will result in a minor demerit and the day’s absence will be treated as an off day. A three-time offense will result in a major demerit and the day’s absence will be marked as an absence from work.
- A measured alcohol level of 0.15 mg or more will result in entry denial and a major demerit. The day’s absence will be marked as absence from work.
- Individuals failing the sobriety tests for an accumulation of three demerits will be handled according to Article 33 (termination of contract).
Routine Safety and Health Education Training
- Course theme: Safety, Health and Environmental Protection.
- Course content: This included the prevention of common disasters in petrochemical plants, the six major food groups, healthy dynamic living - aerobic exercise, introduction to common hearing disorders, control and management of hazardous air pollutants from petrochemical processes, PM2.5 air pollution and employee health.
- Employee feedback: Employees may voice opinions and ask questions during courses for effective interchange with their lecturers.
2020 Safety and Health Education and Training Results
To enhance the safety awareness of all our workers and contractors and to achieve the goal of accident-free man-hours:
- 5S patrol inspections are implemented by supervisory personnel every week.
- The safety branch will conduct an audit of safety every month, with improvement tracking carried out.
- Combine occupational health and safety (OH&S) with personnel key performance indicator (KPI) as a criteria for employees’ performance bonuses, which means bad performance results in bonus deducton.
- We encourage all personnel to report false alarm incidents.
- The Plant supervisor holds a safety meeting with contractors on Thursday fortnightly to communicate, promote, share experiences, and coordinate all necessary safety and health issues.
- An “OUCC Safety and Health Line Group” has been set up and the Plant supervisors and contractor’s labor safety personnel are obliged to join, to reflect, share and communicate with each other immediately.
- From 2013.03 till 2020.12, accumulated safety man-hours at OUCC totaled 4,910,000 hours. From 2019.01 to 2020.12, safety man-hours of contractors amounted to 543,000 hours, contractors numbered 136.
- OUCC aims to achieve 5 million safety man-hours, and contractors of 990,000 safety man-hours in the mid- and long-term stages.
Work Safety Management
Through regular meetings of the Occupational Safety & Health Committee and Contractor Agreement Organization, we discuss and develop safety improvement mechanisms to effectively reduce occupational safety risks. To ensure the safety of employees in the plant, we review and improve the safety and health items proposed by employees through the “Plant Safety and Health Meeting” held routinely. In 2020, the improvements made were as follows:
List of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses of Employees and Contractors in 2020
Worker Participation, Consultation, and Communication on Occupational Health and Safety
The “Occupational safety and health management unit” is responsible for the planning, supervision, and promotion of labor safety and health related matters. OUCC held a “safety and health consultation meeting” and “occupational safety and health committee meeting” every quarter, and were responsible for the review.
OUCC followed the “G0300-WI-007 Guideline for Consultation and Participation of Workers and Occupational Safety and Health Committee Management” to reach internal consensus, and to establish safety and health management obligations and bilateral communication channels for internal employees, external contractors and the relevant stakeholders.